Stage 1 (out of 3) project
What are we trying to build?
We built a Restaurant Review Application. We have named it Table Hopper.
There are two parts to this application –
- Customer part – You can log in as a customer and you’ll be able to see all the restaurants posted on this app by all the restaurant owners. You can also add the ratings, reviews, and photos for any restaurant and can also view the ratings, reviews, and photos posted by other customers.
- Restaurant owner part – You can log in as a restaurant owner to add your restaurants for the customers to review them.
Why did we choose to work on this?
The reason why we got inclined to choose this project was that it looked challenging to implement the customer and restaurant owner functionalities into one single application. So we felt that it would be a good learning experience.
Technologies used and why?
- ExpressJS – Express.js, or simply Express, is a web application framework for Node.js. It is designed for building web applications and APIs. It has been called the de facto standard server framework for Node.js.
- MongoDB – We have used MongoDB which is a NoSQL database. One of the best things about MongoDB is that there are no restrictions on schema design. It allows using an unstructured query language. Besides that main benefit it has over MySQL is its ability to handle large unstructured data.
Future scope of improvement?
In the future, we want to add many more functionalities like –
- A global search bar for searching restaurants by their locations
- Reservation of tables
- Social media authentication to allow users to authenticate themselves using Facebook, Twitter or any OpenID provider (Google, Yahoo, myOpenID, etc.), etc.